Easy Vegan Shiitake Mushroom Recipe | Pho is usually a Vietnamese noodle soup that is delicious as well as easy to veganize! While traditionally created with beef or chicken, pho, because this recipe proves, can even be created with meaty mushrooms. Include some ginger, fresh cracked pepper, mint, garlic, and cinnamon, and you then have a beautiful, fragrant, and filling dish you’ll find yourself making repeatedly again.
Can I recently let you know how obsessed Alex and I are with phở? Clearly, we’re not the only ones since it is an accurate food trend throughout the land right now. Should you’re not really acquainted with this Vietnamese street food, let us introduce you.
Phở is soup by using a rich and warm broth that’s created with low-sodium vegetable broth, caramelized leeks, garlic, star anise, tamari, fresh ginger, cinnamon, basil, and cilantro. We allow it to go simmer for 30 minutes so all of the flavors marry and become one delicious treat.
We added meaty shiitake mushrooms to interchange the beef that phở is normally made with. And so it will be even healthier, we put some sweet carrots in for good measure. Lastly, we added the rice noodles that happen to be a crucial ingredient within this Vietnamese soup.
Sound intriguing? Good, let’s get cooking!
A delicious, savory and warm Vietnamese street soup that’s so delicious and healthy. Constructed with shiitake mushrooms and rice noodles.
Vegan Shiitake Mushroom Recipe
Course: Entree, Main Course, Soup
Servings: 4 servings
Calories: 314 kcal
Author: Linda Meyer
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 leeks chopped
- 3 carrots sliced
- 10 shiitake mushrooms stems removed and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 28 oz light vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup tamari
- 2 star anise pods
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnishing
- Sea salt to taste
- 8 oz rice noodles
- Basil leaves to garnish optional
- In a large deep pan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil on medium heat and caramelize the leeks until they’re a light golden brown. This will add so much flavor to the broth. If you don’t cook with oil you can caramelize them in a little bit of broth.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms, garlic, vegetable broth, water, tamari, star anise, ginger, bay leaves, and the cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Once the broth is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering cook the rice noodles according to the instructions on the package.
- Add the chopped cilantro and squeeze the lime juice into the soup and stir it to combine. Salt to taste.
- Divide the noodles into four bowls and pour the broth and mushrooms over the noodles. Garnish it with more cilantro and basil leaves.