Today Recipes | Easy Toscana Soup from Olive Garden Recipe – You don’t need to go out to your favorite Italian restaurant to fully grasp this classic, decadently satisfying sausage and potato soup. This so-simple rendition is simmered to perfection in your kitchen making use of the slow cooker. Heavy cream is key to the rich, full-bodied broth–but in case you want to lighten the soup up a little, you can replace half of the heavy cream with half-and-half. In case you are opting for that signature Olive Garden flavor, the main element is to apply *spicy* Italian sausage. With that being said, when you are serving this towards the kids, you really should choose to milder sausage. Serve this hearty soup with a lightweight salad and, in case you really feel like going all-out, some savory herbed breadsticks.
Easy Toscana Soup from Olive Garden Recipe
Preparation time Cook time
10 Minutes 30 Minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb Italian Sausage (casings removed if necessary)
- 4 oz bacon (about 4 slices), diced into small pieces*
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (about 1 small onion)
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 lbs Russet potatoes , scrubbed and rinsed then sliced into halves, halves diced into 1/6-inch slices
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds , slightly crushed**
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 1/2 cups packed chopped kale
- Finely shredded Romano cheese for serving , optional
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick saucepan over medium-high heat. Crumble sausage into 1-inch pieces and add to saucepan. Cook sausage, stirring occasionally until cooked through. Drain sausage onto a plate or baking dish lined with paper towels, set sausage aside. Add diced bacon to saucepan, return to heat and saute 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add diced onions to bacon in saucepan and saute mixture until bacon is cooked through and onions are translucent, about 3 – 5 minutes longer.
- Add chicken broth, water, sliced potatoes, sugar, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Bring soup just to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and stir in cooked sausage. Cover saucepan and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are nearly tender, about 10 – 15 minutes. Add in kale then simmer until potatoes are soft and kale is tender, about 5 – 10 minutes longer. Stir in half and half and warm through. Use a spoon or ladle to remove excess fat from top of soup if desired. Serve warm topped with Romano cheese.
- *I added some extra cooked bacon to the top as well, mostly for pictures purposes though just so you can see that there is bacon in this soup. It doesn’t really need it though…but I’ll never turn down a little extra bacon.
- **To crush the fennel seeds up slightly, just place them in a small re-sealable bag, seal the bag then use the flat side of a meat mallet to break them up a bit.
And that’s all for today’s recipe about Easy Toscana Soup From Olive Garden Recipe, please leave some comment and let us know if you already make it at home.