Mozzarella Sticks Recipe Baked Easy | Cheese and bread together are oh-so-yummy. And who doesn’t love a superb Mozzarella stick? What I’m saying is, fried cheese? Yes, please. I became inspired by Taste of Home’s recipe but wanted to have a version that didn’t actually involve butt-loads of oil. For your health’s sake, try this healthy option and stay away from the artery blocks. This recipe is super easy and quick and tastes like the “real” thing.
Mozzarella Sticks Recipe Baked
I made them two ways, one sauteed within a skillet after some olive oil (closer to frying) along with the other baked inside the oven. They search different (above photo is in the “fried” sticks, but are both shown below inside post as well), but Aaron and I loved each of them equally regarding taste. So, choose whichever way you prefer.
12 Wonton or Egg-Roll Wraps, at room temperature
12 Light or Fat-free Mozzarella String Cheese
Marinara Sauce (Low-Sodium) for Dipping
Small bowl with water, optional
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Take one of your room-temperature wraps (less likely to break and ooze cheese all over if room-temp and slightly wet) and lay on flat surface in front of you, like a diamond. Put cheese stick in middle, corner to corner (or slightly below).
3. Take the bottom corner and fold it up over the cheese stick and stick to other side of wrap tightly. You can add a few drops of the water here to make the wrap stick better.
4. Carefully (here is the part where the wrap can break), fold over the right and left corners of the wrap onto the cheese stick to completely cover the cheese.
5. Roll up the wrap.
6. Bake at 400 for 10-12 minutes, turning once, until golden brown.
Alternatively, you can make this on the stovetop.
1. Wrap cheese as described above.
2. Heat 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.
3. Working in batches, add in half of the cheese sticks. Roll/stir sticks around for about 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown, and remove from heat.
Serve with Marinara (seasoned with oregano/basil/garlic for more flavor) and Enjoy!