Today Recipes | Best Tomato Soup Recipe from Scratch – I love the tomato steak recipe my family has always made but most canned soups contain gluten or peppers. I do not respond well to either one. I tried it with one that didn’t and was not overly fond of it (or the price tag). This recipe worked beautifully. I did make it with fresh tomatoes, so I will try canned soon. We had A LOT of fresh. Enjoy!
Best Tomato Soup Recipe from Scratch
Preparation time Cook time
5 Minutes 15 Minutes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- pinch salt
- 2 lbs tomatoes 10 med tomatoes
- 2-3 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tbsp uncooked white rice – I used basmati rice this is your thickening agent
- another big ol’ pinch of salt
- a sprig of fresh thyme or basil or both
- 1/2 bay leaf if you have one
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup water
- 1 more tbsp butter
- another pinch of salt
- In a large pot, add butter, olive oil, onion and pinch of salt. Steam until soft (do not brown).
- While onions are steaming, wash and core your tomatoes.
- Add garlic to pot of onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt, rice, bay leaf, garam masala and your fresh herbs to the pot of onions.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until your tomatoes are well-cooked rice is tender.
- Add the last 3 ingredients (water, butter, pinch salt) and cook until butter melts.
- Remove from heat, and take out bay leaf and herb sprigs.
- Puree to your liking.
- Strain to remove seeds.
Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
And that’s all for today’s recipe about Best Tomato Soup Recipe from Scratch, please leave some comment and let us know if you already make it at home.