Today Recipes | Best Bison Chili Recipe – Have never tried it but hear it’s much better for your body than beef. I know I can get it, but will have to hunt a bit. Hmmm…so much for being a locavore on this one. Don’t think there are too many bison or buffalo near San Diego. Catalina’s not too far, though. I hear they’re all over the place there. That photo is GORGEOUS. Enjoy!
Best Bison Chili Recipe
Preparation time Cook time
10 Minutes 20 Minutes
- 2 lbs. Al natural bison chuck roast, cut in 1/2″ cubes
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 – 14.5 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 8oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red chili powder
- 1 Dried ancho chili pod, chopped fine or ground.
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 24 oz of your favorite dark beer, I recommend Shiner Bock or Ziegen Bock (Any good German beer will do)
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut in 1/2 cubes.
- 4 cups cooked pinto beans (or about 3 cans, if you don’t want to cook them.)
- 10 oz. whole kernel corn (or the corn from 2 cobs)
- 4-6 oz. chicken stock or water.
- 1 1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 2 tsp dried cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp corn masa flour (Masa Ferina)
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or bacon grease.
- Beef stock if needed to thin chili during cooking.
- Heat oil or bacon grease in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add cubed bison in batches, browning well on all sides. Remove browned pieces and place in a large bowl until all buffalo is browned well.
- Return browned bison to pot with whatever juices collected in bowl. Add onion and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring often. Add tomato paste and continue stirring until paste no longer smells raw (Your nose will know, the paste will start to smell a bit sweet and the aroma will deepen.)
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, ancho chili, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder and beer. simmer for 30 minutes and taste for seasoning. (it will still taste bland at this point, just make sure the amounts are close.)
- Add butternut squash and simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour or until squash is just about fork tender, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring often to prevent burning. Add beef stock or water as needed to achieve desired consistency.Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Simmer uncovered for an additional hour, adding liquid if necessary. Allow to rest 15 minutes before serving
- Serve with cheddar or jack cheese, sour cream and a slice of good cornbread.
And that’s all for today’s recipe about Best Bison Chili Recipe, please leave some comment and let us know if you already make it at home.